Sunday, 4 November 2012

Black history month - a token gesture?

Have it, don't have it - as currently set up it seems a bit irrelevant to my generation. That was my message to the audience at a Hackney Lib Dems debate last Tuesday.

I was joined on the panel, Chaired by Simon de Deney by Cllr Lester Holloway, Anuja Prashar and Pauline Pearce (a.k.a. the Hackney Heroine), along with an audience passionate about the subject.

The debate ranged from identity, the void which exists in history taught in schools on British colonialism and the overall aim of Black History Month in the UK.



Photo courtesy of Patrick Thomas

I suggested that I knew more about US black history than I do British black history and that I wasn't alone in that. A very good point was made that we have but one history and that aiming to fill in the gaps in individual knowledge would be a good starting point. This would help toward building respect and understanding, as well as helping each individual on their own journey of discovery.

We all have a role to play.

Keen to ensure that this wasn't just a one off debate where we all complain about what is wrong. I'm looking to see if we can organise another discussion next year to move the debate on and on a personal basis get involved next year to see how I can help make it more relevant to my generation.

Well done to Hackney Lib Dems for organising it.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP